I became infatuated with ZombiU when the first trailer was published, so it’s no surprise that a good chunk of my launch day time was spent playing the horro title. The multi-player mode “Kill Zone” quickly became my favorite because of the diabolical difference in player missions. One uses the Wii U Game Pad tablet to strategize and control an army of zombies while the other uses a typical game controller to kill as many zombies as humanly possible.
Fun over. At least for now. Resident Zombie expert Steve Albright quickly devised a plan to control his army in a way that makes it almost impossible to kill a single zombie.
The trick takes into account the following timing and details of gameplay:
- When you deliver the final devastating blow to a zombie, they fall to the ground and agonize for a couple seconds before disappearing
- When you’re controlling your army, you can “remove” soldier zombies from gameplay by tapping the “X” in the lower right hand corner and then double tapping the zombie you’d like removed
- When viewing the tablet as the Zombie King, you can see the location of your lone human enemy
- In addition to location, a white “field of view” shows you which way the human is facing and what zombies are around him
From there, all you’ve got to do is connect the dots. Here is how you implement the trick:
- Continuously create “attack” zombies and watch as they approach your victim.
- Whenever your zombies enter the “line of sight” of the human, quickly “remove/kill” them with the red X
- Respawn your zombies on different sides/locations around your subject
Your enemy will waste their ammunition trying to kill zombies that suddenly disappear, without counting deaths, even after shooting them directly in the face. More zombies will continuously appear in different directions, causing confusion as your enemy runs out of ammunition. It might take awhile, but sooner or later your opponent will make a mistake, get caught with his back to a biter, unknowingly run out of ammo, and meet their demise.
As you can see in the video above the tactic is incredibly frustrating for the opponent because even head shots are rendered useless. It’s most likely a matter of programmatic timing. If a Zombie is killed they don’t “disappear” and count the points until X seconds after actually dying. Because you’re monitoring where your opponent is likely shooting and removing zombies accordingly, it’s unlikely that those X seconds will transpire before you’re able to remove them from gameplay. Even if they’ve been killed, it’s still likely they’ll escape unscathed by way of score.
Pretty crafty little trick, but unfortunately, it ruins the favorite part of my favorite game on the Wii U. Nintendo should release a software patch or update that either eliminates or reduces the ability to remove the zombies you’ve already placed on the board.
Give it a try and let us know what you think. And if you’re able to find a method of defeating this tactic, let us know in the comments!
- Source claims the NX will have a “Share
- Indie exploration game “Koi” comi
- New Nintendo Selects Wii U games get a trail
- Twilight Princess HD developer is “very