Nintendo has had a strong launch in Japan, where the Wii U sold 307,000 units over the course of the weekend. By comparison, the original Wii sold 350,000 units. The Wii U would have likely sold more if it wasn’t for limited availability. During the first week on the market in North America, the Wii U sold 400,000 units.
We also got the breakdown of the top selling Wii U games in Japan during the launch:
- New Super Mario Bros U: 160,140
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 106,454
- Nintendo Land: 66,583
- ZombiU: 10,680
- Warriors Orichi 3 Hyper: 7,252
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 4,951
We’re still awaiting the first sales numbers for Europe. We know that on launch day, the Wii U sold out in the UK, selling some 40,000 units.
- Nintendo eShop: Race the Sun, Whispering Willows & more
- Voice actors union votes 96% yes to potential strike
- Skull Kid is playable in Hyrule Warriors Legends
- PlayStation dominates Japanese game sales this week
TAGS: japan, Nintendo, wii u, wii u sales