Last week, Japanese Wii U sales jumped 170%, with the console selling 22,200 units, up from just 13,950 the week before. Much of this jump can be attributed to the release of Pikmin 3. The game sold over 100,000 units during its first two days, and no doubt made some Japanese gamers buy a Wii U. In fact, despite only counting two days of sales, Pikmin 3 was still the best selling game in Japan last week.
We previously reported that Wii U sales doubled as a result of Pikmin 3. Now Japanese sales tracker Media Create has released the official numbers for all consoles, and the Wii U is up by an impressive 169% compared to previous week.
Here are the full console sales from last week in Japan:
- 3DS LL: 29,594 units sold (down 0.4%)
- Wii U: 22,199 units sold (up 169%)
- PS Vita: 15,662 units sold (down 24%)
- 3DS: 13,841 units sold (down 4.58%)
- PS3: 12,698 units sold (up 8.69%)
- PSP: 5,830 units sold (up 1.07%)
- Wii: 1,434 units sold (up 7.50%)
- Xbox 360: 396 units sold (up 26.52%)
As Nintendo release other high profile games, we can expect Wii U sales to increase likewise. Over the next 6 months, Nintendo has several key first party games lined up, including Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Wii Fit U, and Super Mario 3D World.
- Best Buy will have Splatoon Wii U bundles on May 29
- Leaked Sony emails reveal Mario Kart 8 purchases & more
- GameStop testing program to accept retro trade-ins
- Fantastic Four trailer has a Nintendo reference
TAGS: pikmin 3, wii u sales