The firmware update for the Wii U that was hinted at earlier this afternoon is now live. Japanese patch notes are available here if you happen to understand Japanese. We’re currently in the process of getting translated notes for our English speakers, but one thing we do know is that this update allows you to play Wii software on the GamePad using Off TV mode. You’ll still need to use a Wii remote to play these games, however.
[Update: Here’s an unofficial changelog below.]
Update is currently 700mb to download. Here’s a list of changes:
- Output Wii-only software to the Wii U GamePad (still requires the use of a Wii remote)
- Automatically receive demos and trial software from Nintendo
- Added USB Keyboard Support
- Manage your Nintendo Network ID from computers and smartphones
- Wii-only software now supports Dolby Pro Logic II
- Friends list now viewable from the Wii U menu
- Settings updates, including the ability to allow or disallow automatic downloads, change output sound
- You can now use a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad for chat
- Internet Browser updated
- hold L/R buttons to fast forward and rewind
- save and manage passwords
- capture images from games similar to Animal Crossing: New Leaf capture on 3DS, allowing for social media uploads
- You can now view PDF files
- Improved stability of system
So there you have it, folks. Expect to hear more about this update on tomorrow’s Nintendo Direct.
- Happy Independence Day from Wii U Daily!
- Rumor: Nintendo NX won’t compete with P
- The accessory Sony built for Nintendo for the SNES
- Skylanders Superchargers trailer showcases Nintendo characters
TAGS: Wii U update