The holidays are coming up: a time of love, joy, peace on earth, and crass consumerism; which means it’s time for gift giving! With this guide you can give the gift of Wii U games (and accessories) to your friends and family! Assuming of course you live on the North American Continent, our Holiday Gift Guide for Europe will be published separately and should be published soon. But for those of you in the US and Canada, read on!
Wii U Bundles
If you have friends or family members who don’t own a Wii U, but you think might like one, now is probably the best time to get them one. Right now you can get the Wii U one of three different bundles; each one costs the same at exactly $299.99 (+ tax) and comes with different games and accessories:
- Wii U Deluxe Set – The Wii U Deluxe Set comes with a black 32GB Deluxe Wii U along with a copy of New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. Mario games tend to be some of the best and most polished games you can get on a Nintendo system, plus everybody loves Mario, so who wouldn’t want to get this bundle for Christmas this year?
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Deluxe Set – This set comes with not only black 32GB Deluxe Wii U and a digital copy of the amazing The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, but it also comes with a unique Zelda themed GamePad and even a digital download of the Hyrule Historia, the official Legend of Zelda encyclopedia. This collection is a must have for any big Zelda fans or anyone looking to get into this amazing series, and it would make a great gift this holiday.
- Wii U Skylanders SWAP Force Bundle – This Wii U bundle includes a white 8GB Basic Wii U along with a copy of Nintendo Land and Skylanders SWAP Force along with three Skylander figures, a Portal of Power which is used to play Swap Force, a poster, three trading cards, and three stickers with secret codes. This bundle would make a great gift for the child in your life.
But of course what is a Wii U without games? If the person you’re shopping for this season already has a Wii U, you should check out these fine games! The Wii U has some great stuff in its library right now, and these 10 games are some of the best that you could get someone this Christmas. These games are listed in no particular order.
Pikmin 3 is the latest in the Pikmin series; the Pikmin games are a strange hybrid of real-time strategy and action-adventure, and Pikmin 3 is a hard to classify and yet incredibly fun experience you can only have on the Wii U. In it you play as three different space ship captains as you command up to 100 tiny creatures called Pikmin to help you find fruit seeds to send to send home to save your dying planet, while at the same time keeping enough fruit juice on hand to keep you alive for another day.
For old fans of the series who’ve played the first two games on the GameCube, everything you loved about the game returns plus tons of new and interesting features, and for new comers the game is interesting and easy to get into, without requiring any knowledge from previous games in the series. The game is probably the most gorgeous on the Wii U right now and is really a must have for any Wii U owners out there.
The Wonderful 101
The Wonderful 101 is an interesting and completely unique game that is exclusive to the Wii U. In it you play as a group of up to 101 super heroes (as you might have gathered from the title), whom you combine, Voltron-style, into different gigantic weapons by drawing shapes on the GamePad, each weapon suited to a different task or enemy. This game is fast paced, full of challenge, has a humorous story and would make a great gift to appeal to any Wii U owner this holiday season.
Disney Infinity would be an excellent gift for any children you might know, and most adults would probably enjoy it as well. Disney Infinity is a massive open world/sandbox/platformer… you know what? It’s hard to describe. It’s massive though, with several Disney series represented and each one having different types of gameplay. The game is fun and friendly and fairly easy, plus, similar to Skylanders Swap Force, there these little figurines you can collect to unlock new characters and stages, which appeal to the kids and themselves might make a good gift for someone who already has the game.
A good gift idea for those Wii U fans who are a little older, Zombi U is an under appreciated gem and is one of the best and scariest survival horror titles in years, which we’ve covered in detail previously here on Wii U Daily. Zombi U, despite a somewhat silly title is one of the more “mature” games for the Wii U right now and can provide a truly amazing experience.Not everyone appreciates its unique gameplay though, it definitely emphasizes the “survival” part of the survival horror genre; think more Silent Hill than Dead Rising, but for those with the patience and nerve, Zombi U should prove to be one of the most exciting and intense games they could get this holiday season.
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is, confusingly, the sixth game in the Assassins Creed saga, despite what the title may tell you. In this installment of the series you continue to explore the genetic memories of Desmond Miles, this time exploring the life of his ancestor Edward Kenway, who himself explores the seas as a privateer turned pirate, who is also an Assassin.
While series veterans will probably appreciate the game’s story, there’s a lot of gameplay here that even new players can enjoy, as you explore the seas in an open world, pirate passing ships, hunt, fish and assassinate people. Really you’ll be doing everything a pirate assassin would be expected to do (assassinate pirates?), and what better gift could you get for the mature Wii U gamer this holiday season than the gift of piracy?
Batman: Arkham Origins
You know what’s better than a pirate? A ninja you say? Ha! No. Batman. Batman is better than a pirate. And that is why you should get Batman: Arkham Origins for any Wii U owners you know this holiday season. It’s a fun, tight, and well-made stealth, action-adventure game, in which you play as Batman; which is all the reason you really need, honestly. It’s a prequel, so you don’t have to worry if whoever you’re getting this for hasn’t played the earlier games in the series, as they don’t need any foreknowledge to get into the game’s story or characters. What could be better than getting someone the gift Batman this holiday season?
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut is a cyberpunk themed shooter with stealth and RPG elements; it was originally released for the PC over two years ago to widespread acclaim. Although it’s a little obscure it’s probably the best shooter on the Wii U right now, it rewards several different play styles and a lets you customize the main character to suit your play style, it has tense stealth sections and exciting boss fights and an intricate and compelling story.
Even for those who’ve played the original, this game would make an excellent gift due to the improvements included on the Wii U version; the Wii U GamePad is a must have for the hacking minigames. And for those who didn’t get to enjoy it the first time around this will probably still be one of the best games you could get them this holiday season.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Tri was originally released on the Wii in 2010 and the updated version, or “Ultimate” version, if you will, was released on the Wii U and 3DS just this year. The Monster Hunter series is about hunting monsters.The game is intensely challenging though, it’s full of interesting areas and inspiring boss battles. Each time you run into a new boss monster you have to learn its attack patterns and figure out which weapon and strategy is best to defeat it. Each new monster you run into requires skill, strategy and timing to beat and it’s an intensely satisfying feeling every time you take one of the behemoths down.
Of course once you’ve beaten enough monsters you can fashion their skin and bones into a stylish new hat and sword with which you can more easily defeat the next giant monster you come across. While the game was released for the 3DS as well as the Wii U, the Wii U version is the only version with online play, which is one of the most integral parts of any Monster Hunter game, and right now Monster Hunter provides one of the best and most intense online experiences for the Wii U. All in all this is one of the best games you could get for someone this Christmas.
Super Mario 3D World
It’s a Mario game. On a Nintendo system. What more reason could you possibly need to get it for someone this holiday season? Fine, I’ll give you some reasons. Super Mario 3D World is the latest game in Nintendo’s flagship Mario Bros series. It’s continued the series current trend of keeping it easy enough that new and casual players can get the hang of and enjoy it, yet it has enough challenge to keep even the oldest and most hardcore veterans entertained.
It’s fun, polished and everything you expect out of a Mario game. Plus, it has Mario in an adorable kitty suit! What more could you really want? Really, there’s no reason that this game wouldn’t make a great gift to just about anybody this holiday season.
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Is it unfair that I’m featuring Batman on this list twice? Nah, after all you can never have too much Batman! Anyway, Injustice: Gods Among Us is a fighting game set in the DC Universe featuring everybody’s favorite DC heroes and villains, like Superman, Wonder Woman and of course Green Lantern. Injustice is a solid fighter, with interesting levels that play well into the combat, as each level has different objects that characters can jump off, or throw, be knocked through or even be countered, making each level a treat to fight.
There’s both online and local multiplayer and both are immensely fun and rewarding. The story is a interesting (if somewhat clichéd) look at the DC comics mythos that should make this game a worthwhile gift for longtime DC Comics fans and relative newcomers alike.
But the games aren’t all there is for the Wii U! No, you’ve got to accessorize! If you’re looking for a cool gift to get someone the holiday season and don’t have the money to spend on a new game or system, these fun Wii U accessories make great gifts for Wii U owners and are sure to make this holiday bright!
- Mario and Luigi Wii Remotes ($39.99 each) – Two of the more interesting accessories you can get for your Wii U are these Mario and Luigi themed Wii remotes. Although the Wii U doesn’t come with Wii remotes they’re used in more than a few Wii U games, so they’re definitely worth getting. Colored in red and green and decked out with Mario and Luigi’s trademark ‘M’ and ‘L’ symbols, these Wii remotes not only liven up the experience of playing New Super Mario Bros U or Super Mario 3D World with friends, but also give off a real Christmassy vibe.They’re sold separately and retail for $39.99 each. If you’re feeling like getting someone you know some Wii remotes this holiday season, then these are the Wii remotes to get.
- Wii Balance Board ($19.99 Pre-Owned)/ Wii Fit Meter ($19.99) – The Balance Board was originally made for the Wii to use while Playing Wii Fit, and is now used in the sequel, Wii Fit U; which studies have show helps with diabetes and overall well being! It measures balance, weight and all sorts of other things to help keep you healthy and fit this holiday season. The Wii U Fit Meter was created especially for Wii Fit U. It acts as a pedometer and allows you to keep track of your workout even when not using Wii Fit U. In fact by getting the stand alone Wii Fit Meter you can get a free copy of Wii Fit U, by downloading the demo off the eShop!
- Nyko’s Charge Station U ($24.99)- If the Wii U had a flaw, the GamePad’s battery life would be it. Nyko’s Charge Station U might just be the solution to that problem allowing your potential giftee to charge both their Wii U’s GamePad and two Wii Remotes at the same time.This stylish product looks great in any gamers room and even angles the Wii U GamePad so it can be more easily used for streaming content. Nyko’s Charge Station U is definitely a gift any serious gamer would want this holiday season.
What Wii U related things would you like this holiday season? Let us know in the comments!
- Nintendo's input helped shape Bayonetta 2's costumes
- Thomas Was Alone coming in November
- Two GameCube adapters can be plugged into one Wii U
- Mewtwo revealed as DLC for Smash Bros
TAGS: assassin's creed 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Disney Infinity, Injustice Gods Among us, legend of zelda wind waker hd, mario & luigi wii remote, mario & luigi wii u bundle, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, nyko, pikmin 3, Skylanders Swap Force, super mario 3d world, The Wonderful 101, wii balance board, wii fit meter, wii u bundle, Zombi U