Nintendo has released a minor system update for the Wii U, bringing the version number up to 4.03 U. The last system update we saw was in September, which brought the ability to automatically receive demos through SpotPass, as well as other enhancements. While this new update isn’t as significant, it does address system stability and other adjustments. The last few updates have added a few new features:
- Updates to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friends List
- You can now output audio and video to the Wii U GamePad controller in Wii Mode
- Support for USB keyboards
- Improvements to the Internet Browser (such as support for PDFs and for screenshot uploads to websites)
It’s nice to see improvements to the internet browser for the Wii U, but lots of work still needs to be done. While the browser does support the latest HTML 5 technology, it doesn’t recognize the audio tag and therefore won’t play audio files.
In January during Nintendo’s financial briefing, president Satoru Iwata briefly touched on a Quick Start Menu function that will arrive by system update this summer. This feature will half the time it takes from turning on the console to starting a game, as the current time is around 20 seconds.
- UK’s The Guardian awards Mario Kart 8 G
- Toys R Us amiibo cancellation was a technical issue
- Nintendo wins victory against patent troll
- Toys R Us cancelled amiibo pre-orders because of Nintendo
TAGS: wii u system update