The Game Developers Conference begins March 17 through March 21 in San Francisco and this year, Nintendo will be showcasing several indie games coming to the Wii U. All of these games will be playable by those attending the conference. In addition to showcasing indie games, Nintendo will also be demonstrating how Nintendo Web Framework works by showcasing a new game demo using characters from Mario and Donkey Kong.
The NWF can be used to create games for the Wii U and is a simple development framework, similar to Unity. According to Steve Singer, Nintendo of America’s vice president of licensing, Nintendo wants to showcase the framework to developers to show just how easy it is to develop games for the Wii U:
“We want to demonstrate to developers how easy it is for them to bring their creative ideas to Nintendo systems. Nintendo offers wide-ranging support for indie developers, whether they want to use NWF, Unity or their own proprietary code.”
Dan Adelman will have a panel on the process of releasing games for the Nintendo eShop on Thursday March 20. For attendees who want to play the games being showcased, Nintendo will be at Unity Booth No. 1402, where you’ll be able to play the following games:
- Armillo – Fuzzy Wuzzy Games
- Ballpoint Universe: Infinite – Arachnid Games
- Cubemen 2 – Nnooo
- Ittle Dew – Ludosity AB
- Monkey Pirates – Henchmen Studio
- Nihilumbra – BeautiFun Games
- Stick It to the Man – Zoink & Ripstone
- Teslagrad – Rain Games
- Wooden Sen’SeY – Neko Entertainment
We’ve covered each of these games individually here on Wii U Daily, so if you’ll be in San Francisco checking out GDC next week, be sure and pop over to the Nintendo booth to give them a go in person.
- Happy Independence Day from Wii U Daily!
- Rumor: Nintendo NX won’t compete with P
- The accessory Sony built for Nintendo for the SNES
- Skylanders Superchargers trailer showcases Nintendo characters
TAGS: GDC 2014, indie games, Nintendo, nintendo web framework, unity