The Wii U system update that Satoru Iwata promised nearly a year ago went live last night, bringing the Wii U quick start menu. This new menu makes it possible to jump into games without loading the full Wii U UI, so you’re playing games quicker than before. There are several other new additions and improvements in this 5.0.0 U update, making it pretty substantial.
In order to use the new Quick Start Menu, you’ll have to press the Home button on the Wii U GamePad or the Pro Controller. Wii accessories like the Wii-remote will simply turn on the console instead of jumping to the Quick Start menu.
It’s obvious Nintendo wanted to get this out of the way before E3 so long-time fans have little to complain about next week, as this update has been promised for a very long time. Here’s a full look at the changes:
- A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
- Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1
- Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
- Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
- GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2
Changes to Standby Functions:
- System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
Changes to the Wii U Menu:
- The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
- The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
- This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
Changes to System Settings:
- Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
- Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
Changes to the HOME Menu
- A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
(*1) The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U
(*2) Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.
- Get Wii U games cheap with the Humble Nindie Bundle!
- Extreme Exorcism is coming to Wii U this year
- Rumor: ASDA to stop selling Nintendo products
- Yoshi's Woolly World supports more than 40 amiibo
TAGS: wii u system update