Oh boy. Club Nintendo is somewhat famous for offering digital rewards to its members who manage to obtain platinum or gold status over the course of the year. Many people are extremely serious about these rewards and have their rewards from each year in collections, waiting to be added to from subsequent years. Only this year, it looks like Nintendo has decided to go the all digital route.
Admittedly the rewards have been toned down year over year. When Club Nintendo first started, platinum members were often rewarded with elaborate statues featuring their favorite Nintendo characters, or copies of Mario’s iconic hat. Last year was no different with members being offered the choice between soundtracks or posters. This year, the choice is between Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games. Most of them are virtual console games, but there are some retail releases.
The disappointing thing about this reveal is that most of these games in the gold bracket are frequently on offer from the usual monthly four game swap for Club Nintendo that happens at the beginning of the month, so the Gold rewards really don’t feel any different than purchasing a game with coins you’ve managed to accrue.
How do you feel about the change?
Club Nintendo Platinum Rewards
- Game and Wario – Wii U
- NES Remix – Wii U
- Earthbound – Wii U
- Dr. Luigi – Wii U
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 3DS
- Fluidity: Spin Cycle – 3DS
- Dillon’s Rolling Western – 3DS
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move – 3DS
Club Nintendo Platinum & Gold Rewards
- Ice Climber – Wii U
- Kid Icarus – Wii U
- Super Mario Bros. – Wii U
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link – Wii U
- Donkey Kong 3 – 3DS
- Wario Land 2 – 3DS
- Metroid – 3DS
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins – 3DS
Which game will you be picking from the selection? Are you pleased with the switch, or were you hoping for physical rewards? Let us know in the comments.
- Animal Crossing lead discuss adding other Nintendo characters
- Zelda fan builds a custom Ocarina of Time arcade cabinet
- Short demonstration of Splatoon's Tower Control mode
- Mighty No. 9 platform selection survey
TAGS: club nintendo