Gamasutra’s jvm has given us a look at the software sales for the month of June in UK, noting that the Wii U was the only console that showed a positive uptick in sales, thanks to the release of Mario Kart 8 on May 30. The Wii U saw a massive 479% increase in software sales alone. There’s currently no data available on hardware so we don’t know how many new bundles were sold, but a quick look at monthly units sold shows the Wii U selling 1.3 million units of software. Here’s the full breakdown for all consoles:
- PS4 LTD Software: 3.02 million
- XB1 LTD Software: 2.61 million
- Wii U Software LTD: 1.32 million
As you can see the Wii U still has quite a ways to go before it catches up to the Xbox One or the PlayStation 4 in terms of the amount of software moved, but this huge jump in sales shows that Mario Kart 8 was definitely received well in the UK. With the release of Super Smash Bros. on the horizon, we expect to see more of this upward trend around the globe as the Wii U finally finds its place.
- Confirmed: Darksiders remaster coming to Wii
- SEGA reveals new Sonic game, coming to NX in
- Introducing the GameFans website!
- Nintendo releases trailer for the NES Classic