EVO 2015 is less than two weeks away and with registrations for the event now closed, we have a better idea of how many participants there will be for each game. Of course Super Smash Bros. managed to draw the most attention for both Melee and the new Wii U version of the game, but perhaps the most surprising thing is that the Wii U version managed to get more registrations than Melee, a longstanding favorite for EVO fans and competitors alike. Here’s a quick look at the registration breakdown for each game:
- Ultra Street Fighter IV – 2,227
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 1,926
- Super Smash Bros. Melee – 1,869
- Mortal Kombat X – 1,162
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- – 968
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 816
- Tekken 7 – 458
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 437
- Killer Instinct – 397
The nearly 2k people that have registered for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U makes this EVO the largest Smash tournament of all time. Compared to last year, EVO is growing nicely, as Melee had only 940 registrants last year but that number has more than doubled this year. Prize pots for winning include upwards of $11,000 dollars if Nintendo doesn’t decide to up the ante by providing a bonus.
Will you be watching or attending EVO 2015?
- Nintendo: Switch is a new platform, not a suc
- WiiUDaily's Big Switch
- Rumored Nintendo Switch specs reveal a pretty
- Nintendo Switch has strong third party suppor