The latest sales numbers from Japanese tracker Media Create show the Wii U in a pretty big slump. Nintendo’s console sold just 3,902 units last week, which is less than it did the week before, where 3,933 units found their way to customers. By comparison, the top selling console was the PS4, which sold almost 30,000 units last week.
The top selling Wii U game was Splatoon, which sold just 9,500 copies, enough to make it the 12th best selling game of the week.
Just a few months ago, the Wii U was selling way more units — the last week of December, the Wii U sold over 100,000 units in Japan, and the week before, it sold 80,000.
The sharp decline in sales is likely due to the fact that no new games have been released, and that Nintendo stopped shipping some very lucrative Wii U bundles.
To date, the Wii U has sold 3 million units in Japan.
Here’s the complete list of the hardware sales in Japan for last week:
- PlayStation 4 – 29,363 (27,576)
- PlayStation Vita – 22,191 (17,104)
- New 3DS LL – 16,533 (19,691)
- New 3DS – 4,363 (4,695)
- Wii U – 3,902 (3,933)
- 3DS – 2,427 (2,717)
- PlayStation 3 – 1,665 (1,633)
- 3DS LL – 569 (452)
- Xbox One – 162 (101)
- Wii U has sold 560,000 units so far this (fis
- Nintendo Switch trailer doesn’t represe
- Analyst: Nintendo Switch could cost $250 and
- Check out these awesome themed Nintendo Switc
TAGS: japan, Media Create, Nintendo, wii u